SPRING BREAK BBQ

Upcoming meetings, gatherings and group rides.

Re: SPRING BREAK BBQ

Postby salt-racer » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Hi guys, I built my Ducati pit bike back in '04. It's composed of three machines that were given (freebies) to me as basket cases.
The frame is a late 70's Honda CL-100 with a few mods (widened for the fat tires and engine mounting), the engine, 60's Ducati 160cc I rescued from a heaping trailer load of a barn clean-up, heading to the dump (no lie). The story on the engine go's something like this, the older gentleman said it was removed from the frame for a fresh paint job back in the late 60's and his son just lost interest....He said he had hauled the frame and wheels to the dump one week earlier! :shock:
The 'fat' wheels once served as front wheels to an 80's Suzuki quad (125cc I think). Funny thing, the quad rear wheels and axle became the drive system for an entirely different vehicle, my son's rear engine 'three wheeler' (he still rides it too).
Another bit of interesting information, the Ducati engine, when mounted in the Honda frame, shared the exact carburetor position as the little 100cc Honda, I just had to use a little longer hose connection, the air filter system is OEM Honda.

The moral is 'recycle' rather than 'reduce' to scrap.

George
salt-racer

Postby Da Nag » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:25 pm

That's awesome, George - both my bud Jeff and I were drooling over your creation.

And, now that I know it's not a rarity on the same scale as some of the other high dollar bikes in attendance - I can fess up.

Jeff was leaning over it, and spilled coffee on the front rim. He was like, "Oh sh%&&^%! What did I just do?" He quickly cleaned and polished up the splash with this shirt, best he could. :D

I'm not gonna let on the whole truth to him, just yet. Gonna tell him I heard back from the owner, and it's the only model known to exist. Ha!
Da Nag

Postby salt-racer » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:08 pm

I guess you could consider this 'Bastard child', properly Baptized.... ;)

HaHa
George
salt-racer

Postby Dragonknee » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Always cool to see what you can build from things... Nice job
Dragonknee

Previous

Return to Gatherings