NEW TOOLS

Technical discussions/questions, how-to articles, etc.

NEW TOOLS

Postby John H » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:40 am

I finally got around to building the hydraulic shop press that has been on the back burner for too many years.
I've had the electric pump and cylinder for some time which is ideal for my needs which is mainly to rebuild crankshafts.
Most of the frame and plattens came from Lincoln Industrial in PA. Got to talk to Doug while there. He's still working on his bikes trying to finish up some long time projects.
The pump kit is a 30 ton unit which is more than I will ever need but it will be nice to know I will have all the power I need to do any job I will ever have.
PRESS HYDRAULIC.jpg
PRESS HYDRAULIC.jpg (75.36 KiB) Viewed 19197 times
[i][color=#4040BF]John[/color][/i]
John H

Re: NEW TOOLS

Postby salt-racer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:46 pm

She's a beauty John!
Can't wait to see some paint on it.
This should work nice for all your Vincent needs; Crankshaft, new cylinder sleeve pressing and possibly my little Uniflow project crankshaft.

George
salt-racer

Re: NEW TOOLS

Postby John H » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:31 pm

I finished the press today and used it to remove the liners from the cylinders on the LSR engine. It's easy to operate since the
pressure and release button can be hand held or set right next to the work piece. The large pressure gauge is at eye level
so pressure levels can be viewed easily making sure excess pressure is avoided. 60,000 psi can do a lot of damage.
12,000 will mash a beer can to about .040 thick.
Now I will finish assembling the crankshafts.

Press finished.jpg
Press finished.jpg (49.94 KiB) Viewed 19174 times
[i][color=#4040BF]John[/color][/i]
John H

Return to Tech