PROJECTS

Technical discussions/questions, how-to articles, etc.

PROJECTS

Postby John H » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:59 am

It's progressing slowly but will be finished in time for Bonneville Speedweek next year. Primary is finished, now it's rebuilding the heads, including a lot of welding and grinding.
Last edited by John H on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][color=#4040BF]John[/color][/i]
John H

Re: PROJECTS

Postby ATinkerer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Link works fine. Quite a project.

Gordon
If it isn't smoking, it's broken.
ATinkerer

Postby John H » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 am

George is at it again, building his new Bonneville motor. He will tell you more about it as it progresses.
John
GEORGE.jpg
[i][color=#4040BF]John[/color][/i]
John H

Postby DougErickson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:08 pm

We were given a Suzuki 1977 TS185 and I am building it up for the daughter. She will be out of college soon and is all excited about dual sport type riding so it is a place to start. It was pretty rough as the crankcase was full of water and there were numerous other problems. I am doing a few upgrades and making it right. Hoping to bring it in under a thousand bucks, you know how 'free' bikes are, right! Also doing some outboard projects and hope to be into the 350-4 soon.
DougErickson

Postby salt-racer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:15 am

Hi Guys
As john said, work is progressing on the new engine for Super-Fly II. Last weekend I reduced the diameter of the cylinder spigot to allow the YZ jug slip down and seat into the KX cases. The barrel now sits very comfortably on the adapter base plate fastened to KX cases. To make-up for the plate thickness, I had to remove a little material (shorten) the YZ cylinder to maintain proper squish, which wasn't too difficult once I had the cylinder spinning true on the lathe. I originally had a problem in centering and supporting the cylinder in the lathe/tooling but John offered a solution which worked beautifully! ;) Team-Work is where it's at!
The next step is to try and match the lower transfer ports from the kawi cases (tiny) to the yami (large) cylinder opening. Quite a step between the two, but I should be able smooth things out with careful-steady hand and a Dremel.
Tons of work remains but I definitely plan to have it ready for Speed Week 2014.

George
salt-racer

Return to Tech