I have decided what my dream bike is...

If in doubt, or it doesn't seem to fit elsewhere - put it here.

I have decided what my dream bike is...

Postby Dragonknee » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:32 am

Its a 1977 0r 78 Harley Davidson Xlcr cafe bike. A little history of why, I worked for San Diego Harley and I uncrated these bikes. I always wanted one and just never got around to it... as I search the craigs I started thinking about what bike I would like to really have, to ride and show up at the meetings and such.... It came back to the harley and since Ive been thinking about this for 34 years... SO... anyone know of such a bike thats around....good bad or ugly.....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Dragonknee

Re: I have decided what my dream bike is...

Postby ClineDesign » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:42 am

A friend of mine here in PA had one when they came out. He used to put Christmas lights on it during the holidays. He said the tank was shaped like a coffin for a reason. He wanted to sell it to me years ago but of course, I didn't have the cash. There are kits to turn a Sportster into an XLCR.
Always wear protective gear. Usually SPF 30 will do.
ClineDesign

Postby Dragonknee » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:09 pm

I found some for sale but at this point can't afford them. I just remember how much I wanted one. My buddy use to ride the heck out of one with us in the mountains of San Diego . I know it's not rational but I just like them. Maybe one will show up in someone's garage someday and I will be there to get it.
Dragonknee

Postby GUZZME » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:59 am

Its funny how that bike used to be one of those oh ya those things kinda bike you could pick up cheap. Now a clean good running one brings the big bucks. With all the after market and factory upgrades parts on the market you could make a real ripper out of one. Ive never ridden one but they are great looking! Infact jim,thats the bike I was trying to make out of my last spoty when i blew the crank (in a 3rd gear wet pavement wot power slide) out of it. the lemans has a little of that same flavor.
GUZZME

Postby Dragonknee » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:05 pm

I just have a spot in my heart for that bike and it took thinking about it to realize that its "MY" bike. When I think back to the uncrating of these bikes, I just wanted one bad.... SO... Now I know but where to go to find it.... down the road and when I got a job... it will be then .
Dragonknee

Postby John H » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Jim, I always wanted a XLCR but had a chance to get a street legal XR750 for about the same money. Not real street friendly since it's a jumpstarter but what a blast to ride. Come by some time and we'll get it out.
[i][color=#4040BF]John[/color][/i]
John H

Postby Lotus54 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:38 pm

The local dealer had one sitting for a LONG time and it sold cheap.
I know the guy that bought it - but darned if I can think of his name now.

I had my 750 sei about the same time.
1976 OSSA Super Pioneer- 78 Benelli 750 sei,72 250 2C Benelli, 68 Benelli Dynamo trail, 76 OSSA GPII Phantom, Beta XTrainer 300, Lotus Elan S3
Lotus54

Postby ClineDesign » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Lotus54 wrote:The local dealer had one sitting for a LONG time and it sold cheap.
I know the guy that bought it - but darned if I can think of his name now.

I had my 750 sei about the same time.

Locally, Leroy Stevens had one.
Always wear protective gear. Usually SPF 30 will do.
ClineDesign

Postby GUZZME » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:00 am

That was ( i think) Willie G Davidsons 1st big project. They made a Dyna along the same lines as far as the glass tail. I remember it being white with red and blue detail, american flag look with lots of chrome. I think it was willies design too. Cool bike. But no,not as cool as the CR. I heard a cr was in pt and not in the best shape. Jimi I can just picture 1200cc,dual carbs, roller push rods,hot cams, high flow heads, 5speed kit,pm brakes on drilled rotors.... putatta putatta VROOOOMM!!! OK you got me onboard. Lets build a BAMF CR.
GUZZME

Postby Dragonknee » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:41 am

It would be cool if that bike was still sitting in Leroy Stevens garage... I really would like one... Its a goal at this point and we shall see if it happens
Dragonknee

Next

Return to General Discussion