Machining

If in doubt, or it doesn't seem to fit elsewhere - put it here.

Machining

Postby Lotus54 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:34 am

This has nothing to do with motorcycles- but the machining is quite interesting.
This are some great microphones- modern version of ones such as the Nuemann U67

Body

https://youtu.be/8-8LQnS3lTQ

The capule;
https://youtu.be/V-i0GztOrlg
1976 OSSA Super Pioneer- 78 Benelli 750 sei,72 250 2C Benelli, 68 Benelli Dynamo trail, 76 OSSA GPII Phantom, Beta XTrainer 300, Lotus Elan S3
Lotus54

Re: Machining

Postby Lotus54 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:10 am

This does have something to do with motorcycles.

I was replacing bearings on somebody’s Beta. I’ve done this before and always looked for spacers, sockets whatever fit ok. It was always a bit of a pain getting everything lined up etc.
So preparing for this one I decided to make proper tools.
For the ‘driving’ part I had some aluminum rod- it was pretty easy to machine to that a centre portion would extend into the bearings- lining it up, and the rest would fit through the part the bearing is pressed out of and back into.
But then the part has to sit on something that will allow the bearing to come out. I chose to 3D print this and see if it would work. I’ve been learning Fusion 360 (CAD)- I designed up the part, sent it to the slicer then to the 3D printer. I had some PETG-CF (carbon fibre reinforced) that is pretty strong, I made the ‘infill’ quite dense with extra wall thickness. The part fit right over the ‘receiver’ with a lip locating it so the bearing can slide right out and the part will not move around. One of them fit around the part the other inside.
I was not certain if they would be strong enough, but they worked great. I think I could have printed all the parts and had no issue. If they were really stubborn, I imagine they may not be strong engough, but these were pretty tight an all well. The instructions say to heat the part before pressing in new bearings- they are tight.

Always fun learning new things and trying things out.

BTW, I had not tried adding text to a part- I can see I needed to make it stick out less or add support. I think next time I will make it a different colour and do it in the bottom rim. That would mean less filament changes and it should look quite good. Also identifying the tool.
Attachments
IMG_7262.jpeg
IMG_7262.jpeg (161.03 KiB) Viewed 15835 times
1976 OSSA Super Pioneer- 78 Benelli 750 sei,72 250 2C Benelli, 68 Benelli Dynamo trail, 76 OSSA GPII Phantom, Beta XTrainer 300, Lotus Elan S3
Lotus54

Return to General Discussion