Is this group to survive.

If in doubt, or it doesn't seem to fit elsewhere - put it here.

Is this group to survive.

Postby Dragonknee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:59 am

Seems that that we are doing a little less and have less coming to the meetings. Are we at a stand still ? Have we started the undoing of the club. I'm glad that we have had a good run and had lots of good times at John's picnic's and would like more. The best I can offer is to let someone else do the admin of this site and see if they can make this a going concern. I think what we need is New blood to make this a club that is a going concern. Bill has done a great service to the club by letting us use his web space and its not used as much as it could be and Cornerhouse has worked out for dinners. We seem to be missing the parts of going on rides and hanging out besides at the meetings. If there are any ideas and thoughts... I guess now is the time. Thanks
Dragonknee

Re: Is this group to survive.

Postby Dragonknee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:52 pm

I'm just not sure what its going to take to make the fun factor be come the norm. Looking towards the winter it would be cool to gather and help each other do things and get them ready for summer. It would be good to do some rides and go together to rides... Just thoughts
Dragonknee

Postby Dragonknee » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:55 pm

I have gone thru and deactivated all the accounts that were there since 2012 when we started that have not posted... The ones with posts and have shown up to meetings are still there. There are 19 people listed on this site. I still believe that this could be more of a group of riders and people that work together on bikes and such. It seems that this post has been up for a bit and I don't see much excitement on this subject so... at this point I will leave at that....19 people that could be a good start. Its up to those on here that want to do it....That is all
Dragonknee

Postby John H » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Dragonknee wrote:I have gone thru and deactivated all the accounts that were there since 2012 when we started that have not posted... The ones with posts and have shown up to meetings are still there. There are 19 people listed on this site. I still believe that this could be more of a group of riders and people that work together on bikes and such. It seems that this post has been up for a bit and I don't see much excitement on this subject so... at this point I will leave at that....19 people that could be a good start. Its up to those on here that want to do it....That is all

How did groups get together before the internet? It's nice but maybe we rely on it too much.
There's always a core group at the heart of a club / group and in that core group, maybe one or two activists that are good at getting the others more active.
Our group is a unique mix of riders, use to be riders, builders, rebuilders, restorers, racers and bench racers. Some of the group don't use computers at all.
We all like to eat and we all like to talk bikes. Personally I'd like to spend more time talking than eating.
I'll offer my shop for more meets if anyone is interested. I know, it's probably too far to ride or drive for most of the group.
I'm just throwing it out there to see what others think.
[i][color=#4040BF]John[/color][/i]
John H

Postby Dragonknee » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:51 pm

This is a great start, I'm hoping that we can do this sort of thing for sure. I think the biggest problem is that most don't do the site or they just lurk. Its not a good sign when this has been up and only one person has anything to say after 3 days.... I guess if this media doesn't carry the news that we need to find one that does. Who wants to be in charge of telephone calls for everything we do...No much fun calling a list to get people to come. My thought would be that people try and not relies on one or two people to keep this site up and running... I hope that this stays together but if thursday dinners once a month is it...well its a night out with who ever shows up...
Dragonknee

Postby 920 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:39 am

It worked for me... making me reset the password. Fear of loss creates action.
I think we all have a life story, too busy, tired, out of town, etc. I have allowed my enthusiasm for the group meetings to fad. Yet, I see value for myself and others to maintain a personal effort to participate and connect.
I wonder if an effort to drive the meeting time and location to "top of mind" for the members would help improve activity? Facebook? Email reminder? Text? Static websites are weak competitors to social media.
It's obvious... I'm a great example of the inactive membership problem. IMO
I have been following and participating in PNW Dual Sport... these are mostly younger guys who are social media savvy. It's drawn me and I have really enjoyed hanging with these guys and gals. They also have a more narrow focus. However we have a region commonality.

Just sharing my random thoughts while sitting on my sofa with a head cold.

Dan

Postby Dragonknee » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:00 pm

I did start a Facebook page for those that were interested. Its not well used and only has ten people listed. Any interest on there would be great and with both sites together it could be a mix for the young and old. I am totally interested in any ideas that will bring other's here. Ideas are good.... :D

https://www.facebook.com/groups/631789923621388/
Dragonknee

Postby John H » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Nothing wrong with FB as long as it doesn't take away from this forum. Hopefully time spent there will won't take time away from here.
[i][color=#4040BF]John[/color][/i]
John H

Postby 920 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:07 am

I am on FB now too...

Driving the events to top of mind is my main point. I do appreciate the effort others have put into the group.

Postby Dragonknee » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:47 am

John H wrote:Nothing wrong with FB as long as it doesn't take away from this forum. Hopefully time spent there will won't take time away from here.

The main problem is that there is a lack of traffic here because most people use social media, Jay and Gordon and Terry and I .....My son's and Bill all use Facebook. This is a great site and I wouldn't want to steer away from it, but would like to give those that do use social media a place to go. There is a lot of people that don't use computers and don't participate with this site either. It would be cool to link them but I don't think that will work.
Dragonknee

Next

Return to General Discussion