DNR Support

If in doubt, or it doesn't seem to fit elsewhere - put it here.

DNR Support

Postby Deanman » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks to all who came to Cornerhouse last night and watched the picture show. Hope you enjoyed it.

I've been corresponding with Justin Zarzeczny from the DNR about helping out with some trail maintenance at the Foothills, specifically the permission to cut down trees that we encounter when we ride up there. He tells me he'll get me certified and on his list soon (there is a basic safety briefing to go through and probably some paperwork) but in the meantime, he asked me to sign and have my moto friends consider signing the letter of support, pasted at the bottom (beginning with "November 9, 2016").

Pasted directly below is the grant they are seeking which the letter gives support to. I hope that makes sense. If you do support this and want to make your voice heard, please just print out, sign and return the support letter to Justin at DNR, either by mail or scan back in with signature and email to him at Justin.Zarzeczny@dnr.wa.gov

Attn: Justin Zarzeczny
WA State DNR 311 McCarver Rd
Port Angeles WA 98362

Obviously this is totally up to you, I'm just putting it out there for consideration. I have mixed feelings about more "enforcement" out there, but on the other hand the trails need maintenance and repair, and the trash dumping and the like is a major problem on roads and even on trails to some degree. Apparently DNR has to beg someone for their operating money, so that's what this is about.

Thanks, Dean

RCO Maintenance and Operations Grant (# 16-2279M)
The Department of Natural Resources will use this grant to conduct maintenance on 36 miles of Off-road Vehicle (ORV) trails and trailhead facilities on the Foothills and Sadie Creek trail systems, both in the Port Angeles area on the northern portion of the Olympic Peninsula. This project will provide funding for a two person crew to perform routine trail and trailhead maintenance and repairs. Trail maintenance activities include brushing trails, maintaining culverts, drain dips, and ditch-outs, hardening small sections of trail with crushed rock, and inspection and maintenance of bridges and signs. Trailhead maintenance will include litter removal and the maintenance and repair of restrooms and signs. The primary recreation opportunity provided by this project will be safe and sustainable ORV recreation trails and support facilities.

RCO Education and Enforcement Grant (#16-2418E)
The Department of Natural Resources will use this grant to reestablish an education and enforcement program in the Olympic Region Straits District, which covers portions of Clallam and Jefferson Counties, along the Strait of Juan de Fuca. This project will fund one seasonal Recreation Warden to patrol the Straits District during the highest use seasons and on weekends. Additionally, the Recreation Warden will be helping to further establish and support a Forest Watch program. The overall goal for this program will be to continue established partnerships with trail user groups and provide education and enforcement to all recreational trail users in the region. The primary recreational opportunity provided by this grant will be safe and sustainable multi-use trail based recreation throughout the Straits District and the surrounding Olympic region.
Additional recreation opportunities in this region include the Foothills and Sadie Creek Trails (motorized ORV); the Little River trail, Striped Peak trail, and portions of the Olympic Discovery Trail on DNR managed lands (non-motorized). The Straits district also has the Lyre River Campground (11 sites) and the Murdock Beach Access day use area (the only public beach access for 12 miles between Camp Hayden and the East Twin River).The Dry Hill Mountain Bike Trail System is an undesignated, cooperative project managed under an Adopt-a-Trail Agreement.

November 9, 2016

Department of Natural Resources – Olympic Region
Recreation and Conservation Grant Applications

#16-2279M – Olympic Region ORV Facility/Trail Maintenance

#16-2418 – Straits District Education and Enforcement

To Whom It May Concern,

We support the DNR Olympic Region’s grant applications for the Olympic Region ORV Facility/Trail Maintenance and the Straits District Education and Enforcement programs.

Sadie Creek and the Foothills serve an important service for the recreation community. They are the only designated motorized ORV areas on the north end of the Olympic peninsula.

This requested funding will provide for the necessary maintenance that will insure a safe trail riding experience for the general public.

The Education and Enforcement program protects the general public’s investment in this location. The education part helps to curb vandalism and littering and educates the public where to recreate and serves as a positive impact for the whole area, enforcement is secondary, but sometimes becomes necessary.

Sincerely,
Deanman

Return to General Discussion