Afflick-Afflick & Afflick 100cc Land Speed Record Pursuit

If in doubt, or it doesn't seem to fit elsewhere - put it here.

Afflick-Afflick & Afflick 100cc Land Speed Record Pursuit

Postby ClineDesign » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:06 pm

Always wear protective gear. Usually SPF 30 will do.
ClineDesign

Re: Afflick-Afflick & Afflick 100cc Land Speed Record Pursui

Postby salt-racer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Thanks Jay, for posting the Afflick(AAA Racing) team info. This is the team that plans to run for my 2013 100cc Blown Fuel record at Bonneville in August 2015.
They are currently at Lake Gairdner in southern Australia and will participate in Speed Week (down under) March 23-27th and plan to raise their existing Aussie record which is around 93+mph. They are shooting for the ultimate world record for the blown 100cc (approximately 110mph) and are extremely dedicated in doing so.
Looking at the DRLA site, it 'appears' their records are determined by the fastest exit speeds and not the average speed over a given mile which is how speed records are determined at Bonneville. If this is correct, capturing the record will be a little more difficult.
Anyhow, I look forward to meeting them at the salt flats later this year when I'll be running my 125cc Blown Kawayami.
If they do succeed to break my '13 100cc record at Bonneville, I will have to prepare a new Blown 100cc engine for 2016! ;)

Be sure to check-out their dyno videos on their site.....they are spinning that little 4 stroke Honda to 13,000 rpm's!! :shock:

George
salt-racer

Postby ClineDesign » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:53 am

AAA Racing Day 1

AAA Racing Day 1 Aussie Speed Week. Today we were on the Salt early went through tech with no problems and put the bike in the queue for the long track.
Only 1 track operating due to conditions. Waited all day in the queue for Mitch to run, track was scheduled to close at 6pm. At 6 we were number 7 in the queue and thought the day was lost, then the race director came over the radio and said lets run them as long as we can.
6.25pm Mitch fired the blown hundred up for a 11000rpm pass, he took off down the salt and we picked him up, bike all good, said he revved it to 11400rpm.
Got back to the pits and he went to get the timing card. 107.395mph out of the box!!!! Wind was above allowed speed for record. The bike preformed great, and I am looking forward to having a crack tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing what the bike can do. JP AAA Racing.........
Courtesy of Telstra Mobile Satellite
ClineDesign

Postby ClineDesign » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:07 am

Wednesday post to Facebook: Lunchtime Wed Aust Speed Week. Waiting for the track to open have got the bike ready to go. Mitch up this afternoon hopefully. Bike loaded up to go 110mph. Hope the clutch stays in it and the top end stays together. Hope to get another shot tomorrow. @minimobracing #blown #fuel #100

Video of their bike on the dyno:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=78 ... =2&theater
ClineDesign

Postby salt-racer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:58 pm

Seems that the 'Salt Gremlins' are showing there faces for the Aussie team. All this talk about slipping clutches is giving me second thoughts about my clutch assembled in my hybrid Kawayami 125cc racer.

Although P.A. Power has provided the best clutch components available for my vintage KX125; Vesrah friction disc's, Barnett steel plates and springs on the market (thanks Mike T.), I am still worried a little about the possibility of clutch slippage. My Hybrid motor, top-end '93 YZ125 adapted to the rotary valve KX125 bottom-end, with a supercharger (on alcohol fuel) produces more than 2.5x the original horsepower.
Blake, at P.A Power talked with a tech guy at Barnett today, on my behalf, about installing shims/washers under the springs to raise the clamp pressure and the tech guy didn't have 'any' advice....
Back to square one! I'll most likely install custom shims just to be safe.

George
salt-racer

Postby ClineDesign » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:26 pm

ClineDesign

Postby ClineDesign » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am

109.589 mph - the fastest 100 in Australia!!! ( JP riding)
So stoked it's been a very challenging week!
Lookout USA here we come! ‪#‎fast‬ ‪#‎speedweek‬ ‪#‎scta‬ ‪#‎salt‬
Cheers to all our supporters and sponsors.

ClineDesign

Postby salt-racer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:12 pm

The Afflick team came 'pretty 'close to their target speed of 110mph with an official recorded speed of 109.5 mph! Outstanding effort and my hat's off to them. Looks like they will be heading to Bonneville this August for sure and attempt to capture a few records here too, my 100cc blown fuel record, being one of them.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had some concerns with my race bike clutch and it's ability to hold the increased power especially after hearing of the clutch problems with the Aussie team. So, this last week I headed over to John's shop and we experimented with a set of stock clutch springs. We tested with (1) spring and with multiple (5) spring configurations in his valve spring compression tool. Using the stock springs (5) w/o shims will create approximately 157 lbs. total clamp force (@ installed length) and with .062" shims under each spring the clamp force jumps to approximately 170 lbs.
Currently I have a set of Barnett springs in the clutch which are just slightly heavier than the stock units and the clutch lever is not noticeably any harder to pull than a standard racer clutch. So....., with shims installed under the Barnett springs, the additional clamping pressure should do the trick, providing the additional insurance of a non-slipping clutch.
John does suggest, "go easy on it" (using only for starting off on the salt), Good advice! I do know that all my road (pavement) test sessions will be very gentle.

George
salt-racer

Postby ClineDesign » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:14 pm

I see that AAA sells t shirts to help raise money. How about Tri Mac shirts?
Attachments
trimac.jpg
trimac.jpg (152.92 KiB) Viewed 36541 times
ClineDesign

Postby salt-racer » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Wow Jay, nice job! I guess I should give it some thought. I have no idea what or how many shirts they require for an order. I will have to talk to Jim as he had the Olymoto shirts done. At a minimum, it would be a real nice gift for my crew and support personnel.
You know Jay, with a 'press pass' you could probably get some terrific on-course photo's of cars and bikes at speed!
2015 is going to be a killer year! I guaranty, you would never regret your trip to the salt!

George
salt-racer

Next

Return to General Discussion