Bonneville salt racers

If in doubt, or it doesn't seem to fit elsewhere - put it here.

Bonneville salt racers

Postby DougErickson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:33 pm

What's new with John And George's efforts?
DougErickson

Re: Bonneville salt racers

Postby Dragonknee » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Not sure... We need to give them a shout...
Dragonknee

Postby John H » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Well, George says he's busier than a one arm paper hanger and I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kickin contest.
Sorry we missed the meet. Come by some time and see what's going on.
[i][color=#4040BF]John[/color][/i]
John H

Postby salt-racer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:42 am

Hi Guy's
Yes, busy is the word to best describe the Bonneville pre-race operations!

What's happening:

The frame tubes (front down-tubes) from last years chassis had to be modified in order to nest the new 125cc hybrid motor (Kawayami), which means all new mounting and alignment. Careful measurements are mandatory to allow frequent removal/serviceability of items such as cylinder/head, side covers without removing and/or raising the engine (lessons learned with previous engine installation).
This weekend, the engine and blower where successfully placed in the new cradle and mounts are going in.

In the engine department, P.A. Power has graciously stepped in, once again to sponsor my 2014 season at Bonneville. The little '76 KX125 engine will now be making approximately twice the original HP (on methanol) so a new Barnett clutch package has been ordered. I have contacted Calico Coatings in North Carolina and have received a quote on ceramic coating my piston crowns and exhaust port and will be getting those parts off this week. I have chosen, once again, to run a vintage Posa-Fuel carburetor in draw-thru configuration with the new Aisin ARM300 supercharger (three times larger than the previous blower on the 100cc motor). I will start with a 32mm (smooth bore) carb and switch up to a 35mm if necessary. The Blower drive system has been designed, ratios determined and new 'blank-hub' cog-tooth pulleys are on their way from New Jersey!
All this power (now @ 12-13,000 rpm's) has to get to the ground so all new ratios had to be figured and new sprocket system designed. I have acquired two new rear sprockets, a 31T a 32T and searching for a 33T and have capability to run fro 13T to 18T counter shaft sprockets (planning for 120+ mph). :D

The motor is still apart as I have not balanced the crankshaft (too damn busy with other stuff) but should be getting around to that shortly.

That's about where we stand.....

Hope to have it's first run session by March 1st.

George
salt-racer

Postby John H » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:10 pm

This video gives you an idea of a 200 mph run at Bonneville. Nothing quite like running WFO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfwmeTxZ ... e=youtu.be
John H

Postby ClineDesign » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:46 am

Let me know if you doing a test run at the Sequim airport. I'd like to be there to photograph it.
clinenorthwest @ gmail dot com
jc
Always wear protective gear. Usually SPF 30 will do.
ClineDesign

Postby Dragonknee » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:15 pm

Thats fantastic.... I'm sure that if we could we would all show up to check it out... you guys are the real deal...
Dragonknee

Postby John H » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:50 am

Here's a little of what we will see at Bonneville this year. Not your average Hayabusa but will possibly be the first 400mph motorcycle streamliner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyRRjmEcPe8
John H

Return to General Discussion