OSSA Explorer

If in doubt, or it doesn't seem to fit elsewhere - put it here.

Re: OSSA Explorer

Postby Lotus54 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:54 pm

I went on a 50 mile ride yesterday (I think 4.5 hours actual running time, I'll check).
Started on HWY 101, off to power line, gravel roads, single track, tight single track, NO track through clear cuts (lots of log hopping etc), ice, hills - great day!
The OSSA did fantastic! Cruised down 101 easily, 50mph was around 4500 rpm in 6th, I'm sure 55-60 would be easy. Harder to shift sitting down (trials gear lever, move your foot to shift- works great standing, not as well sitting).
Of course it was the best in the places where there was no trail at all- the more difficult the better. I'm getting to know the bike more and trusting what it will really do. I had by far the easiest time (I think) in the really nasty sections.
The low fuel lamp came on just as we got back, so 50 miles with a small reserve. I brought a litre of fuel along, but never used it.

For fast, rocky sections, it certainly isn't as easy to ride fast as my 300, but I did just fine. Some places I'd be a little faster on my 300, but as I get used to the bike more I don't think much of the time it makes any difference. I try to ride about 60% of my max anyway! number one rule- don't fall down! (I was the only one yesterday that didn't.

I installed some KTM adventure plastic handguards (from our friendly locals KTM dealer)- I used them on my Ducati and liked them. Quite light, flexible and not expensive. Worked great for the brushy sections. Before I kept doing stoppies as brush hit the front brake and clutch. Plus probably a bit warmer for my hands.
I am planning of getting some of the twisted Engineering flex composite bars, so these should flex ok with those bars (I think).

I really like the peg location and weight distribution of the bike. Even with modest power output it is easy to loft the front wheel at speed- a quick preload of the front and weight shift with a bit of a tug and it pops right up over mud holes, ditches etc. the rear seems to do just fine hitting those as speed, I haven't noticed any bottoming yet. Forks work darn well also. Lewisport fixed me up with the trials rear brake lever- perfect! Nice hinging pedal and in the perfect location. If you buy one of these, buy this lever also.

I'm very happy with the bike so far. Incredibly fun to ride and I feel like I improving my skills. Standing properly of hills most of the time now. The bike really rewards standing, since it is so much easy to move weight around and absorb shocks from logs, rocks etc.
It runs super clean, the guys behind say it is like riding behind a 4-stoke, except is smells great!

Mark
1976 OSSA Super Pioneer- 78 Benelli 750 sei,72 250 2C Benelli, 68 Benelli Dynamo trail, 76 OSSA GPII Phantom, Beta XTrainer 300, Lotus Elan S3
Lotus54

Postby Lotus54 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:01 pm

1976 OSSA Super Pioneer- 78 Benelli 750 sei,72 250 2C Benelli, 68 Benelli Dynamo trail, 76 OSSA GPII Phantom, Beta XTrainer 300, Lotus Elan S3
Lotus54

Postby Lotus54 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Really liking the OSSA!
Tried out the new Twisted Engineering flex bars- worked well. I noticed the damping of preloading the front also- but I switched to the more proper 'knee bend' to preload for wheelies over obstacles.
Lotus54

Postby Lotus54 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:35 pm

I always like the videos one of my riding buddies make. The narration is funny and comments on mistakes are always fun.

Most of it is his, but he mixed some of mine in with it- on the same sections.
Fun to see the different bikes and styles for the 'interesting' sections.

Mark

http://youtu.be/tHQI2_U8OWw
Lotus54

Previous

Return to General Discussion