steel alloy plate

If in doubt, or it doesn't seem to fit elsewhere - put it here.

steel alloy plate

Postby salt-racer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Hello Doug (Lincoln Welding)
I've been busy working on the new engine for my Land Speed bike. One of the challenges I have is to successfully attach a Yamaha YZ125 cylinder to the early Kawasaki KX125 bottom cases. In order to do this I will have to fashion some kind of offset adapter plate. This plate, by design, will be thinner (approx.3/16") than I'd like and must withstand all the forces (and harmonics) this engine can throw at it at 12,000 rpms'. Therefore it should be machined out of a material that is 'stiff' but can also be machined. I'd like to know what kind of steel alloys you may commonly use at Lincoln that may fit into this application.
My thoughts are that some high strength steel alloys may be commonly used for splice plates on frames and fixtures for extreme applications that you run across now and then.
I would appreciate any suggestions and/or recommendations that you or other group members may have. Having the material locally available is best.

George M.
salt-racer

Re: steel alloy plate

Postby DougErickson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi George, we use lots of 3/16 mild and lots of 3/16 T-1 ,we also have various alloys for forming. I bet the T-1 would be fine, how big a piece do you need?
DougErickson

Postby salt-racer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:53 pm

Hey Doug, thanks for the speedy reply. I understand you are recuperating from some knee 'mods' (sounds better than surgery). I hope you are back on your feet soon! I know I will have to address my bummer knees in the future. :roll:
I will be needing a piece approximately 5"x5". I will do a little research on the alloy (T-1) as I'm not familiar with it, but that is why I asked for your help in the first place!
Thanks again!
George
salt-racer

Postby salt-racer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Hey Doug, could you please PM me?
George
salt-racer

Return to General Discussion