Help?

If in doubt, or it doesn't seem to fit elsewhere - put it here.

Help?

Postby TAB » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:57 am

Hello to all. Looking for advice and maybe help. Ok, so my Triumph decides to leak more than normal. A dry sump system, engine oil is in a tank. Have a BIG weep along a seam. Repaired myself years ago-JB weld-was good enough till recently. I think brazing may be the way to go. Not being a metals guy, I am unsure. Also not sure if I can get away with another "external" repair-ie JB or some kind of sealant. Tank is not under pressure. Here are some pics-may take a bit to download-but shows where the problem is.

Thoughts/suggestions anyone? Would be nice to hold paint as best I could, realize maybe I cannot. I can get a new "old" one off E-Bay, but ya never know what you're getting.

'69 Triumph Bonneville

Thanks!!

Tom

TAB

Re: Help?

Postby BluK100RS » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:40 pm

Hello Tom,
Since it's oil tank, not gas, I would say call around for some one who does torch brazing, auto body, welding. I'll call my hot rod club member friend in Sequim.

Art
BluK100RS

Postby TAB » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Hi Art-Thanks for looking. Plot has thickened here-While starting to clean/prep the "trouble" area, it went a little sideways. Oh well, at least a hard diagnoses, no guessing what is leaking. Pics follow. Still hope repairable by a craftsman, but unknown. Here they are-

So maybe a new old tank----- or not???

Leaving it like this would be too leaky even for a Triumph!
TAB

Postby BluK100RS » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Looked in the VME news vendor and one stood out. Performance Welding Service. www.performanceweldingservice.com Bothell, WA.
phone 425-780-9000.

Art
BluK100RS

Postby Lotus54 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:34 pm

How perfect do you want it?
I could probably weld it, but with the condition of the metal and contamination of oil I expect obvious signs of repair.
Almost certainly need repaint.

I'm thinking a TIG may do a nice job.

Mark
1976 OSSA Super Pioneer- 78 Benelli 750 sei,72 250 2C Benelli, 68 Benelli Dynamo trail, 76 OSSA GPII Phantom, Beta XTrainer 300, Lotus Elan S3
Lotus54

Postby John H » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:02 pm

Tom,
If you can wait a few days, no problem. I think we can slow the leak down.
[i][color=#4040BF]John[/color][/i]
John H

Postby TAB » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi Art, Mark and John-Thanks, guys for your help/offers. Art-performancewelding looks like a pro (and cool) business. Am sure they could handle this. Mark, doesn't have to be perfect-the bike ain't-and this faces inward also. Thank you very much for the offer. You got a pretty good stable of bikes there ---. John H has been kind enough to do a couple of things for me that have turned out really well-And He and Rebecca are friends also. So when the time is right for him, I think I'll take him up on his likewise generous offer. I'm hopin' he is able to more than "slow the leak down"! Think he can.

Thanks to all!

Tom
TAB

Return to General Discussion